Saturday, April 21, 2012

Two Weeks in November

When I get into Sofia where is a good place to stay? and do? I have been in Afghanistan for the past 7 months and desperately need some rest and relaxation.





What is there to do in November? Do i need a winter coat.......lol.




|||



Hi Asiaus,





After almost 3 weeks in Sofia looking for apartments and accommodation I think I know a little to advice you. Are you planning to rent apartment or stay in hotel? I recommend Hotel Les Fleurs located on Vitosha Blv. for about 190 euros per day. If you have a budget there is an amazing hostel call The Red House, it has a restaurant, a gallery and a theather with life performances everyday (centrally located) very relaxing and quiet with wireless internet.





To do in Sofia there are many things, but you want to relax I highly recommend Rila Mountains instead of the city.





The weather is nice right now, I don%26#39;t use my coat yet. I think by november it will be colder so I recommend bringing a coat. Are you coming by yourself? If so the best thing to do is learning a little bulgarian, use some internet toold. Be aware of the different prices for foreigners, especially when they don%26#39;t understand the language.





If you need any help do not hesitate to contact me. I live in Sofia for now only 5 minutes walk to the famous Vitosha Bld.





I hope you enjoy and relax in Bulgaria.





Cheers




|||



Thanks for a quick response. I am government contractor in Afghanistan and have been doing this for the past 4 years. I heard so many good things about Sofia so I thought I would give it a try. I%26#39;m not on a budget nor do I intend too while i%26#39;m over there. I just want to take some time to regroup and meet as many people as possible. Definately partake in the local drinking establishments. From my understanding Sofia is the right place to do this.





Location- I don%26#39;t want to be ways out from all the entertainment there. So, I figured somewhere in the center. The hotel you mentioned doesn%26#39;t allow you to smoke so I guess I will look for something else. I have linked up w/driver who speaks english that can take me to places. My buddies have utilized him from previous trips there.





Food- Any great dining there? Maybe you advise me of great places to eat.





Asiausmc




|||



Hi,



As a local bon vivante I will advice you to stay as much %26quot;in the center%26quot; as you can. Radisson hotel is a very good place, even there are works going on there now, but has the best possible location. For drinking, there are few Irish bars( Flannigan%26#39;s at the Radisson, Murphy%26#39;s, Irish Pub) - I think horrible places. For clubbing - Chervilo, Escape, Jalta ( house music, good dj%26#39;s). Refined clubbing - Mascara (retro and house music, fancy people).



Eating - fusion light food - MOTTO, OPERA, Brasserie. Gourmet - Chef%26#39;s (away from the city, need a car), Panorama at Kempinski Hotel (fancy people, expensive women). Fish - Tambuktu. Greek - Kumbare. National Bulgarian cuisine - Pod lipite, Vodenitzata.



You can also experience the places with live pop folk Bulgarian music - there you will find very cheap women, lot of alcohol, people dancing on the tables actually in the dishes they are eating from. By my opinion these places are nasty and for village people, but foreigners find them interesting.



If you need more advices, please do not hesitate to contact me.



Have a nice stay in Sofia!




|||



Sunflowera,





Thanks for your post and information. I apologize for not explaining in details what my true intentions are upon my arrival. I%26#39;m not looking for cheap,sleazy, rundown establishments that foreigners attend too for a quick fix.



I am sorry if you were offended by my previous entry. This is my first trip in Bulgaria and I want to experience everything Bulgaria has to offer. Food, people, nightlife, culture.....ect.





whatever information or suggestions you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.





P.S I take exception when you say %26quot;All or Majority%26quot; of Expats. In fact, I try to stay away from Expat establishments while on vacation.





Thanks again and feel free to response back. It%26#39;s been a real pleasure.








|||



Ok, so please consider all the places for eating that I mentioned, places for clubbing and stay away from Irish bars and live pop folk places :)



Regarding the cultural part, you can explore the city center by walking, it%26#39;s a small and cozy city and all the churches and historical buildings are in a walking distance.





Regards.




|||



asiausmc,





First of all, let expand on what sunflower wrote. There are two types of clubs in Sofia, discos where %26quot;Bulgarians%26quot; go to listen to disco and techno and house, then there are %26quot;clubs%26quot; where lower income Bulgarians and %26quot;Roma%26quot; (often considered to be non-Bulgarian, despite having been born there) listen to Bulgarian music, violins, accordians, etc close to what we would call %26quot;ethnic music%26quot;. Both are great fun, but Bulgarians tend to steer foreigners away from the latter because they are critical of anything associated with Roma. Unfortunately, they are not easy to find as any respectable concierge will not tell you where they for fear that you actually go and enjoy yourself! I%26#39;ll find some and let you know.





About hotels, the Radisson is a haven for expats who are looking to go to the strip bars sitting around the hotel. Skip it!





Go to the Sheraton, it will be a nice change from living on MREs and duse in Afghanistan. They don%26#39;t have a pool, but they offer pretty good massages for little money. The hotel is right in the middle of the city, close to everything.




|||



Yo, Blackwater TripleCanopy Aegis ExecutiveOutcomes dude:





As promised:





Clubs: Sofia%26#39;s clubs play music ranging from techno to jazz and rock to salsa, with chalga, a curious mix of Turkish pop and gypsy dance often referred to as pop-folk, always popular. Sin City, bulvard Hristo Botev 61, is a huge venue, reputedly one of the chicest clubs in the Balkans, with pop-folk and house in its different halls. Gramofon, ulitsa Budapeshta 6, also plays chalga. Alcohol, ulitsa Rakovski 127, gets everyone on the dancefloor and also has a chill-out room to cool down. The award-winning Chervilo, bulvard Tsar Osvoboditel 9, has several resident DJs playing house music, and Yalta, down the road at Tsar Osvoboditel 20, has international DJs. Cabaret, ulitsa Hristo Belchev 12 (downstairs from Before and After), houses an old-time atmosphere in an art nouveau building, with retro, Latino/Turkish and mixed dance nights.





Live Music: There are several venues with live performers of local music, like Swingin%26#39; Hall, bulvard Dragan Tzankov 8, featuring live jazz, rock and pop, with local and foreign performers. Toucan Bluzz and Rock, ulitsa Rakovski 112, has decent live jazz, and Back Stage, bulvard Vasil Levski 100, offers a range of live music every night. For a true Balkan experience, spend the evening at a restaurant featuring live Bulgarian folk music. Recommended venues include Vodenitzata, set in an old mill in the Dragalevtzi district close to the chairlift, Vitosha, bulvard Vitosha 33, and Chevermeto, bulvard Maria Louisa 106.




|||



DJ I saved your post for future reference. Thanks.




|||



Holiday apartments for short and long term



http://sofiabulgaria.virtualave.net/




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, September 12, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment