Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hassle

How mush hassle do u get in SB ? I have just been reading a report stating that the hassle is really bad for people trying to get you into bars, resturants, shops etc.. We are 1st timers to BSB and I really cant be doing with being hassled I had enough in Egypt ans Tunisa. Do you have to haggle in shops ?




|||



Hi there,





I know I hate that too! Every restaurant/pub/bar has a dedicated person stationed outside the entrance asking if you would like to come in, describing the food and telling you the price of drink.





We%26#39;re just back last week and it was not so bad though perhaps this is because I was out with my boyfried the whole time? I did notice that many times if it was a couple of girls on guys on their own, the staff member might come up to them, put their arm around them and try to guide them in, asking where they were from, etc...





I found that if you smiled and said %26quot;no thank you, maybe later%26quot; they leave you alone. Also, take whatever flyer they are trying to give you, let%26#39;s you off the hook easier.





YOu can haggle in the shops if you want but honestly we found things so cheap that it was not worth it, but I guess it is depending on what you are buying?





Have a great time, the hassle is not so bad, just think of the weather and the sandy beach! :)




|||



Ive just got back too, there was 4 girls who went. There were people standing outside the bars/restaurants but I didnt feel at all hassled by them.




|||



For sure cannot be compared to either Egypt or Tunisia- on these places it%26#39;s not that easy to make them let you go... despite of how much confidence you show in your refusal




|||



re. Haggling in shops



While you seem to base your prejudice on your experience in Egypt and Tunisia, I%26#39;d take the liberty to keep on comparison





There are labels with fixed prices in shops and you are not expected to bargain in 98% of them. You can get discount for certain purchase in many shops but it%26#39;s a matter of progressive discounts policy rather than individual decision of sales person.



Some souvenirs/arts/similar shops would be the exception.





Bargaining is applicable for street sales and some solely-provided services but do not expect to get something at 1/5 through 1/10 of its initial price as you probably managed to in the above cited countries.




|||



Hi, ive been to Tunisia and Bulgaria and have to say in Tunisia the hassling is annoying but good natured, we usually found if you just smile and say maybe later and dont stop walking no matter what they left you alone. in sunny beach though the hassle was so bad sometimes i didnt want to leave the hotel, and when you carried on walking you could tell they were muttering things about you when your back was turned. all in all i found the majority quite pushy and a bit rude, not all though some were friendly and jokey. everyone is different though so just go and see what you think.have a good holiday x




|||



I%26#39;ve been in Tunisia many times, in many places in addition to the regular tourist places



And I%26#39;ve been taken as tourist in SB, although I%26#39;m Bulgarian and I%26#39;m actually born in Burgas





Be sure my opinion is not a matter of nationality... I%26#39;m proven as one out of any locality-type prejudice



Additionally, particularly SB is definitely not a place I like



~~~



Overall, different people- different opinions :) The one who posted this question will have his/her own impression after the visit...




|||



SB is no worse than any other holiday destination throughout the world.



Local people are trying to run a business and try to get people into them, you only eat dinner once a day so they are all trying for your business.



I have always found that a polite %26quot; No thank You%26quot; or we%26#39;ve already eaten or even maybe tomorrow suffices.



Sometimes have a good laugh at some of the styles.





As for shops, you don%26#39;t have to barter, most things are priced up and I%26#39;ve never been hassled into going into a shop in SB.





Toonman




|||



thanks it sounds no worse then any other place then glad I dont need to barter in shops i know in some cultures its the norm but I dont like doing it personally. Thanks all, oh by the way I am not predudice i just dont like to be dragged in places that i dont want to go into. Holidays are short enough without spending time explaining to people that you dont want to go into a certain shops or bars. Personally I dont like it I know people have to make a living its just my opinion i know a lot of people dont mind but I dont like it at all. Unfortunatley there are not many destinations that dont ask you to go into places. i want to relax on my holiday not fight off over keen touts and street sellers. I am sure some people will have other opinions about it tho !!




|||



Missed to add that you%26#39;ll be disturbed by one%26#39;s comments if only you%26#39;re not in comfort with your own... External people are responsible for their actions, while you are the one managing your acceptance (or the lack of it)





~~~



Dear Carole,



Let me be apologized for the wording (%26quot;prejudice%26quot;), be sure it was not used in negative aspect.





You are absolutely right for differences in haggling.



I also don%26#39;t like bargaining and was tired%26amp;bored to death even when my colleague was passionate doing it for my profit (I simply wanted to buy a Moroccan dress, only the one I choose, and at the initially announced price, fully realizing it%26#39;s at least 5 times higher than the one u can get after haggling)



But -vise versa to me- the bargaining ladies spent great and pleasant time doing it.





You can%26#39;t avoid invitations for visits%26amp;buying at any tourist place in the world, to one or other degree.



However, each time when I%26#39;m tempted by the idea of having separate places for tourist shopping and for %26quot;just-leisure%26quot; places, I think that maybe even %26quot;only-leisure%26quot; people would miss part of the nature atmosphere.





I wish you to have in SB and in any other place exactly the experience which you mostly desire.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, October 02, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment